The Red Room

The Red Room

Book - 2014
Average Rating:
Rate this:
John Knox is pressured into accepting a job as an art broker in the mysterious Istanbul, a city situated on two continents where East meets West and Islam meets Christianity. It is a melting pot of spies, terrorists, and conflicting interests. Teamed with smart, quick, and fearless Grace Chu, Knox must navigate a murky operation, the only goal of which is to spend five minutes in the proximity of a man they've never met. Why? What can it possibly matter? And why are so many others bound and determined to see it never happens--at any cost?
Publisher: New York : G. P. Putnam's Son, 2014
ISBN: 9780399163746
Characteristics: 399 p. : map ; 24 cm


From the critics

Community Activity


Add a Comment
Jul 22, 2019

A slog to read. Seems like almost every page has one of the characters complaining about "being a mushroom" (i.e., kept in the dark by the boss and given a **** assignment)- not knowing what he/she was doing, why, and whether it would cause something good or bad to happen- but stumbling along anyway.

I got about 40% through and returned it to the library. Seemed unlikely the remaining 60% would redeem the first part and not worth the effort to find out- there are other books in the library and other calls upon my time.

ChristchurchLib Jul 11, 2016

Spy Fiction. Ok, this one's a little different -- the main appeal here for Gabriel Allon fans is the fact that an art piece is the center of the action. Security expert (and art trader) John Knox and his partner, former Chinese spy Grace Chu, are in Istanbul, having agreed to orchestrate a brief meeting and broker a trade. But they quickly find that they're prey to some unknown threat -- and that's before Grace is kidnapped and John is shot at. Plenty of tradecraft and political commentary will satiate Gabriel Allon's many fans -- and there are four in the series (starting with The Risk Agent and ending with White Bone, out this month) for those who get hooked.

Jan 23, 2015

Boring - did not read the whole book

Jan 03, 2015

Person always has interesting facts and he is a very entertaining writer I had a hard time following him what he was trying to do story wise in this particular book

Djeremay Sep 12, 2014

Torturously slow, convoluted plotting. I really tried to stick with this plot, but finally gave up, nearly halfway thru it, which is something I RARELY do.

Age Suitability

Add Age Suitability

There are no age suitabilities for this title yet.


Add a Summary

There are no summaries for this title yet.


Add Notices

There are no notices for this title yet.


Add a Quote

There are no quotes for this title yet.

Explore Further

Browse by Call Number


Subject Headings


Find it at BPL

To Top